Friday, June 27, 2008

I've sprung a leak. . .

It finally happened...every vintage trailer owner's worst nightmare--the LEAK. We've had a lot of rain here, lots of flooding and closed roads and schools, etc., so I suppose it was inevitable that THIS was going to happen...the Croppin' Cabin has a leak. I panicked, and wondered if I could even FIND where the leak was..was it in the middle of the roof and running to the lowest spot, or was it directly in the door...HOW IS A GIRL SUPPOSED TO KNOW THESE THINGS..?? I'm still trying to find missing parts & rennovate & learn to back up. Now I have a leak, too? Good golly, Molly!

After surveying the situation, I determined that said leak was coming from a faulty aluminum drip cap above the exterior of the door. (Chris from Classic Shastas (visit his site at www.vintageshastas.com) told me what this was..I was calling it a rain guard...haha I'm still learning, so cut a girl some slack!)



I assume that nearly 40 years ago, this drip cap fit flush & snug against the body of the Shasta, and the rain ran along it instead of under it and into the door. In 2008, however, the drip cap decided it was tired and took on a lazy position, and what with the multitude of inches of rain we've received lately, it let most of that run underneath and through the crack in the top of the door, where it pooled up at the top of the metal frame, causeing buckling above the door:



. .and then ran down the frame on both sides of the door, causing damage & rot in both corner cabinets:



Not pretty. Not nice, and NOT fun. And see this little piece of metal trim that runs along the bottom of the door and on the floor..a threshold, so to speak..well it doesn't screw in anymore:



This is what our backyard looks like right now, compliments of Mother Nature:





So..in a pinch and not sure what else to do, I grabbed a caulking gun & some clear silicone caulk and went around the top of the drip cap...however it's hot, and humid...and we're getting more rain & storms tonight, so I can only hope for the best. Chris from Classic Shasta also recommended another product that won't wear down like the silicone does..a product called Geo-Cel. I'm anxious to try it..my silicone job was rather sloppy, as you might have noticed, so I'll be happy to remove it and apply the new product.

And while I'm at it, thanks to all of my Classic & Vintage Shasta group friends out there...The information that you all provide during this trailer process is inmeasureable..and I love you guys for it! PS--your trailers are FABULOUS.

0 comments:

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com