Saturday, August 9, 2008

How to Maintain A Metal-Frame Intex Pool


So Pool 101 has been going well for us...we did some minor landscaping around the pool, which has helped add to the atmosphere of our backyard tremendously. We added a floating turtle thermometer so we'd know what the water temp was before we took a flying leap in.

For the landscaping, I added a garden edging around the pool..I punched small holes and used heavy-duty zipties to secure to the pool poles. My intentions are to keep the mulch from touching the pool. I then used mulch plastic around the pool, and topped this with some mulch. We then added patio lights with an on/off sensor, and some landscaping timbers around the entire project. Perfect! I'm considering adding some Bamboo fencing to the chain link for added privacy and to put lights on, but for now we're just hanging lights on the fence.

As for maintenance, we use a 3" chlorine tab in the floating tablet dispenser. (Was about $8 for the dispenser, and $3 for the individual tabs.)We use about 1 tab every 7-10 days which makes our water test in the perfect range. We also have a testing kit, and a box of test strips. I've only shocked the pool once, but I believe I'll shock it every week from here on out--it really keeps the water looking & smelling clean. A bag of shock is about $3. I use a skimmer with a telescopic handle to retrieve bugs/leaves..I spend about 15 min every morning, and maybe another 10 min each night, depending on how much wind/rain or swimming we've had. I also keep a dish pan full of clean water beside the ladder that they must step in first before getting in--this helps keep the water clean. I did buy a pool vac, but honestly I find it's just as easy to use the skimmer to stir up anything on the bottom, then scoop it out. Wala!


4 comments:

Susan said...

we bought one of these pools then started trying to 'level' the ground! this is awful! did you level it-- or did you put sand down-- or what-- everyone says to dig up the grass then use this board to level it-- and its me and my daughter -- we are not strong enough-- please let me know-- we are sad --- susankipp@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do..DON'T plant bamboo on your property..the root system will spread like wildfire and go underneath your pool and puncture the liner, among other things on your property! My son is still trying to get rid of it on his property with little success. Be careful with that plant!

Anonymous said...

we also bought this 15' inter for about $350 cdn.
We have 3 kids one of them a hemophilic so a pool was super great to get!
we have had it up for 1 month now and it's shifted to the left...we dug down 2 feet but I don't think it was level enough. now we are darning and going to dig deeper and drop sand then tarp....ugh. ..fist rating because it's so much water but I think it would have destroyed the pool if we didn't.
Thanks for the advice your pool looks great!
we planted a huge garden around mine..but would like more privicy. ..:(

Judy said...

We have just put up a 15x48. It's out of level on one side approx 2 inches. Some of the poles seem to be perfectly straight up and down, some lean in a bit (bottom is out more than top, and vice versa) do you think this is a prpblem?.

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com