Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bye-Bye, Croppin Cabin

Last weekend was a sad weekend for me. After much deliberation, frustration, and sadness...I made the difficult decision to sell the Shasta. I shed tears...I listed it, then immediately had seller's remorse and UNlisted it, then thought it over some more and relisted it.

The Shasta was a beautiful thing...it was nearly 40 years old, with shining wings and original everything. I didn't find the Shasta because I was looking for a vintage/classic trailer to restore--I found it because I was searching for an inexpensive trailer that I could take my kids camping in and make some memories with. And we did that. But a year later, I realized that I could continue on my journey, getting more & more in over my head financially & emotionally, or I could cut my losses and sell it. I chose the latter. The fact remains that I do not have the manpower to do most of what is left of the restoration--the water heater, the gas lines, the pump, the paint. It was the coziest trailer ever, which was nice when it was just the dog & I, but when the kids, Robert, the dog, and I all went camping--it was a little too cozy. The layout wasn't the most practical for 5 of us and 1 big dog..with the beds all at one end on top of each other. Without air conditioning it was like being packed in a tin can at times.

Of course I'm sad..I had high hopes, dreams, and plans for the future for that little piece of American history on wheels. It's value was immeasureable, not because of it's worth in terms of being a trailer, but more it's worth in what it brings to a family..a piece of history, nostalgia, and fun. Everywhere the Shasta went, people wanted to see it, comment on it, tell me about their trips with Grandpa in one just like it.

Some kind folks from Olathe, KS made the trip on Sunday and took the Shasta home..here is a pic I took after I set it up for them to inspect; call it a "Farewell picture," if you will:



I will have another vintage trailer at some point in time-I know that for sure. Once you have the Vintage Trailer bug, it never escapes you...it's part of you...you notice them in backyards, in driveways, at campgrounds. I know better what I'm looking for--a canned-ham shape, a bed at one end, etc, etc. I'll know the PERFECT Croppin' Cabin when I see it.

And what are we going to do for camping in the meantime? Well, we do still have a TENT (everyone groan together now!)but we are actively looking for a replacement..something much longer/bigger, with the beds spread out, and some a/c. Oh, and something functional. We're going to see one on Monday...maybe it will follow us home?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sad, too. But you did the right thing, if that's what you wanted!! Good luck with your search!! <3 Shasta Girl

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had to let the Shasta go, but what a lovely tribute you wrote. It is addictive, having a classic trailer isn't it? Good luck on finding your next treasure!!!

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com